Saturday, July 9, 2022

A Proverb a Day Keeps the Foolishness Away #9

 
In Proverbs 9, Wisdom is pictured as hosting a grand feast in the beautiful banquet hall of her glorious palace. She invites us to come and eat, but many, like in Jesus' parable of the feast, refuse to come, saying they have too many other things to do.  We come then to verse 9:
9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
    teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
The wise man realizes that he never has received all the wisdom he will ever need; he never rejects and invitation to come for more; he always remains teachable. This is related to two points we have already touched on: laziness and pride: laziness wants to sit back and glide; pride says: "I already know enough." 
Questions: When someone talks to me, to I listen as if I could actually learn something from them, or am I just waiting to give them my ideas?  Have I become so busy going down my path that I think I am too busy or important to pause and learn more?

No comments:

Post a Comment