Saturday, July 30, 2022

A Proverb A Day... #30

Proverbs 30:
The man declares, I am weary, O God;
    I am weary, O God, and worn out.
2 Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
    I have not the understanding of a man.
3 I have not learned wisdom,
    nor have I knowledge of the Holy One
.
In the words preceding these, we are told that this chapter was not authored by Solomon, but by Agur son of Jakeh. At first read, it may sound as if he has a self-image problem and is putting himself down, but as we read down through the chapter he does, in fact, have enough wisdom to say that he needs help when it comes to dealing with deception or the pursuit of wealth. He knows that he must be even more firmly grounded in truth so he can spot a lie, and he needs to avoid riches lest he no longer depend on God.  As we go further, we find he really does have a lot of wisdom, but most of all, he humbly admits he has a lot more to learn.  So, his opening statement is hyperbole and humility, not the lack of a healthy self-image.
Questions: What am I willing to admit I am ignorant about?  Am I willing to ask God and others help with that? Do I see myself as incapable of failing morally, beyond falling for a lie, or could never become in some way arrogant?

No comments:

Post a Comment