Friday, July 1, 2022

A Proverb a Day... Keeps the Foolishness Away #1

 
Today, we begin a new month and a new series of studies in Proverbs. Each day I will focus in on one verse from that day's chapter of Proverbs - 31 chapters in 31 days.  I would encourage you not only to think about that one verse, but read the whole chapter to see what one God point's out to you.
Today's verse is Proverbs 1:7: The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
This verse, of course, sets the tone not only for the chapter, but the whole book. I once heard that the fear of the Lord is "worshipful submission to God from a believing heart." Eighteen times in Proverbs we are told how necessary the fear of the Lord is to life. It means holding Him higher than anyone or anything, respecting His Word enough to actually listen and live by it, and being responsive, not scoffing at Him.
Questions: Does my worship demonstrate that I know God is in charge? Do I seek His Word for direction in my decisions and relationships? Do I find myself drawn to His wisdom, or going through life ignoring it?

No comments:

Post a Comment