Thursday, July 14, 2022

A Proverb a Day Keeps the Foolishness Away #14


Proverbs 14:21:
 21 Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner,
    but blessed is he who is generous to the poor
.
Throughout the book of Proverbs Solomon repeatedly warned that wickedness and foolishness lead to poverty and affliction.  But that does not always mean that the poor got that way because they personally were living an evil, foolish life.  In fact, he says here that one who treats someone else as worthless because they are poor is the real sinner. Beneath the surface and between the lines here is a distinction he makes between the simple who lack wisdom, and the scoffer who rejects it and the fool who hates it. Rather than looking at others and thinking we know what sin has led to their condition, we are to look upon others with grace and generosity, and we are to show acts of kindness and compassion.   
Questions: Do I look down upon those in misery? Do I think to myself that it is their own fault? Do I then do nothing to help them because I feel justified in my judgment?

No comments:

Post a Comment