Friday, July 8, 2022

A Proverb a Day Keeps the Foolishness Away #8


Proverbs 8
13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil.
Pride and arrogance and the way of evil
    and perverted speech I hate
.
This chapter begins with another call to listen to wisdom. Why do we often find it difficult to hear her voice? Pride. Here we have pride in all it's dimensions: It begins in our minds with who we think we are; it seeps into our attitude as arrogance; we see it in the evil way we treat others, and it comes out of our mouths in perverted speech. Pride is all-pervasive and needs to be shut up and shut out if we are going to be able to hear wisdom.  
Questions: What have I said today that sounded arrogant? Go through the rest of the day listening to what you say.  Have I abused my position or relationships in some way that shows I have a prideful attitude?  Do I think that no one around here could do this without me? Beware the deafening voice of pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment