Thursday, July 21, 2022

A Proverb a Day Keeps the Foolishness Away #21


Proverbs 21:1-3: 
The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord;
    he turns it wherever he will.
2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
    but the Lord weighs the heart.
3To do righteousness and justice
    is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.
Often when we look at Proverbs we wonder why it seems Solomon jumps from one topic to another. Indeed, in this chapter we find him talking about many of the other topics we have already discussed. The real question here is: "Why am I here and what can I do?" The chapter begins by talking about the power of the King, the Sovereignty of God, and the ability of every person to choose for himself what He will do. If all those things are true, what can I do that matters? I can do what is right and just.  Verse 15 brings this topic back up: When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers. When we do what is right, it adds joy both in God's eye and in the lives of those around us.  Your life does make a difference.
Questions: Can people see that  I "do right by them"?  Do they see that I am more than fair; I am just?  Do I understand how important it is that I do what is right and just? What is it like when I don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment