Thursday, July 28, 2022

A Proverb A Day... #28

As we near the end of the book of Proverbs, it becomes obvious that Solomon is indeed sharing his wisdom with his son, as we see in Proverbs 28: 
14 Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always,
    but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.
15 Like a roaring lion or a charging bear
    is a wicked ruler over a poor people.
16 A ruler who lacks understanding is a cruel oppressor,
    but he who hates unjust gain will prolong his days.
Power has a tendency to harden the human heart. We have seen that in leaders throughout history and still today - not only in government, but in the marketplace and even the church. Christ warned His apostles against it. Why do we have this tendency to want to rule with an iron fist? We covet what we can get at the expense of others - power, possessions, popularity. We begin to think, feel, and act as if we are so special, we deserve special treatment. We think we are successful, but ultimately it leads to failure.
Questions: Do I feel I am due certain treatment because of my position? Do I believe people should trust me just because I've climbed the ladder to success? Do I focus on what I can get and forget I'm a servant?

No comments:

Post a Comment