Thursday, January 30, 2020

More than Mere Courtesy...

12 When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. 13 Do your best to speed Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way; see that they lack nothing. 14 And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful. All who are with me send greetings to you. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. (Titus 3)
Letters, no matter how personal, seem to develop "normal", traditional, standard form endings, such as "respectfully yours". What can set them apart, and keep them from becoming a mere formality is the additional details added to them, and the relationship behind them.  Think about what Paul is saying here: "I had to write these things to you, but I can't wait to see you in person. I am concerned about Zenas and Apollos, and other fellow believers in need. Everyone here greets everyone there. I am praying that God will give you the grace you need just like He is doing for us here."
These are words and thoughts of deep relationship in Christ.  There is mutual respect, and more.  May the words we write, and the words we speak, carry with them such love, grace and affection wrapped up in God's Grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment