Thursday, January 2, 2020

Give Up Yet?

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (II Corinthians 12)
It's January 2nd.  Give up on your New Year's Resolution(s) yet? Feel like you have tried and failed, so why bother?  We often do tend to give up quickly.  Paul was no exception.  Three times he cried for deliverance and victory from this struggle.  For many of us, three times is nothing.  Like Paul, we need that one key element: consistent humility. I cannot and will not ever do this on my own. Life is never a one time easy fix.  Coming to faith in Christ does not eliminate all my struggles immediately, so making some new resolution definitely will not do so.  Daily submission to Christ, His will, and His power and purpose will take us where we need and want to go. Contentment despite imperfection, without losing sight of the goal: for us to become more like Christ day after day into eternity.  That's a day, a year, a life, we can live with in great hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment