Monday, May 9, 2022

Songs of Renewal #9

Psalm 23 is a great Song of Renewal.
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever
.
The first line shows us the prerequisite we need to find renewal: Contentment with what the Good Shepherd supplies. There is a full trust here in His actions: He makes me lie down, and we must be willing to allow Him to. He leads; He restores; He gives comfort, He prepares; He anoints - God will do it all, if we will simply trust His plan and provision.  This is a daily routine for the sheep and Shepherd, but it is not a rut or boring, or unsatisfying; it is refreshing and renewing. These times of renewal also keep us looking forward, long-term, to continued refreshing and the ultimate renewal in His Home for eternity.  Let's allow Him to take us through today, and every day, to His pasture of renewal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment