Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Songs of Renewal #3

In Psalm 31, David is calling out to God for some security and stability in His life. He says: 
3 For you are my rock and my fortress;
    and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
4 you take me out of the net they have hidden for me,
    for you are my refuge.
5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
    you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.
6 I hate those who pay regard to worthless idols,
    but I trust in the Lord.
7 I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love,
    because you have seen my affliction;
    you have known the distress of my soul,
8 and you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy;
    you have set my feet in a broad place
.
David pictures for us what it is like to be redeemed, to trust in the Lord, as opposed to "paying regard" to the worthless idols of the world.  It is allowing Him to pull us out of the net, the snare, the trap which held us helpless, and finding ourselves firmly planted on a clear path, knowing where we are heading, having the Lord, the solid rock, as our personal guide and protector. Once again, our emotional affliction and distress finds relief, and a sense of joy and love settles into our soul. That is what our Redeemer does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment