Thursday, May 5, 2022

Songs of Renewal #5

Yesterday we read the opening stanza of Psalm 66, which call on us to come and see the awesome things God has done. Today we look at the last stanza, beginning in verse
16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
    and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
17 I cried to him with my mouth,
    and high praise was on my tongue.
18 If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
    the Lord would not have listened.
19 But truly God has listened;
    he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
20 Blessed be God,
    because he has not rejected my prayer
    or removed his steadfast love from me
!
The Psalmist now gives his personal testimony of God's faithfulness in responding to his prayer and demonstrating His love. The psalmist is doing exactly what Paul exhorts us to do in both Ephesians 5: addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart and Colossians 3: teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Often the way to renewal in our hearts and minds happens when we share testimonies, scriptures, and songs of thanksgiving with one another.  Though our natural tendency may be to withdraw when we are down and discouraged, that is the last thing we should do. Songs of renewal take place in fellowship and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment