Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Songs of Renewal #31

The last half of Psalm 16 says:
7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
    in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
    my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
    or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
    in your presence there is fullness of joy;
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore
.
This psalm of David displays a full trust in God, both for this life and the life to come.  In verse 10 you may have noticed those familiar words, quoted by Peter in referring to the resurrected Christ. Just as Jesus, God the Son, felt secure in the hands of His Father, so did David. He knew that God would be there to give Him direction and a solid foundation. He had a joy and a security that God would see Him through the whole path of this life, and that someday he would be in God's presence forever. We can have that same joy and assurance, if we, like David, will entrust ourselves to God's rule, God's plan, God's care.

No comments:

Post a Comment