Saturday, May 7, 2022

Songs of Renewal #7

Psalm 116 is entitled: "I Love the Lord."
What does that look like?
 12 What shall I render to the Lord
    for all his benefits to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
    is the death of his saints.
16 O Lord, I am your servant;
    I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
    You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving
    and call on the name of the Lord
.
The "cup" is an interesting instrument in scripture: sometimes it is a cup of wrath or suffering, while at other times it is a cup of blessing. Here it is an empty cup asking to be filled, as we call on the Lord to fill it. People are watching; a loved one has died or some other struggle in life has taken place: "How will we respond?" To make it through such a time we need to beware bitterness and not abandon faith; we need to give thanks, be faithful, and be willing to say: "Lord, I really need you."

No comments:

Post a Comment