Saturday, June 22, 2013

I reckon...

Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 
"Reckon" is not one of those everyday words for most of us. It has to do with how we see things, with how things "line up" in our eyes.  The truth of scripture, and the example of Christ, is that we see others as more significant than ourselves.  That does not mean we put ourselves down - that we compare ourselves to others, but when it comes to how we live, we behave as if they come first.  It is coming outside of our own little world, where it is all about me and what makes me feel good, and I care, and act as if I care, about what matters to others.  In short, what really matters is that the matters of others matter to us - not in a nosey way, but a loving, compassionate, servant way.

No comments:

Post a Comment