Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Getting to Know Jesus by Name #4: AMEN

 Revelation 3:14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. 15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked
Jesus is here referred to as the AMEN.  We often associate that word with the end of a prayer or hymn, but it is a word deep with meaning: "So be it; truth; firmness; trust; confidence; fixed; sure."*  Whether we use it as a name for Christ or to end our prayer, we are saying that our confidence is in Christ: He is truth; we can be sure He hears us and cares and can do something; He is our firm foundation. We tend to be lukewarm, wishy-washy, fair-weathered friends, but not Christ: He is the One we can always count on. 
(*Diann Cotton: 100 Days with Jesus)

No comments:

Post a Comment