Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Fear of the Aged...

So Israel took his journey with all that he had and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he said, “Here I am.” Then he said, “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again, and Joseph's hand shall close your eyes.” (Genesis 46)
Jacob was old.  He had seen a lot in his lifetime, and he was challenged with the changes taking place.  God had miraculously worked out for his family to be spared from the famine through what He had done through Joseph. Now he was invited to go live with him in Egypt. That was a lot of change. Could he do it? God's answer was "yes." Jacob could be sure that God would keep His promises in the future, even though it seemed like he himself was being side-tracked.  For those of us being challenged by the current crisis, probably none are more prone to fear and a sense of helplessness than the aged: "Will I have all I need? Will I see my family again? What will happen to them?" God is still faithful. He will give the grace to go through any change He brings our way. Rest assured. 


No comments:

Post a Comment