Sunday, June 16, 2024

My Strength and My Portion


 Psalm 73:23 Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
    you hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Having made it almost halfway through the Psalms, one might have gotten the impression that only David always thought the world was against him.  But in this psalm of Asaph we find much the same perspective: he is surrounded by wicked people who seem to prosper; they are fat and happy and seem to have an easy life. People look at him in his sufferings and tell him his must be doing something wrong.  As he struggles with this inconsistency, he turns back to his relationship with God.  Simply put, in this life he can count on God's presence and power, and in the life to come there is more of His presence and all the glory one will ever want and need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment