Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Appealing...


Philemon 1:17 So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me. 18 If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. 19 I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it—to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. 20 Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ.  21 Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. 22 At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you.

In this brief and straightforward letter, Paul appeals to his brother-in-Christ Philemon to receive back his run-away slave into full fellowship.  Paul states rightly that he could "demand" such action as an apostle, but rather he appeals to Philemon simply as a brother in Christ.  They had shared so much together, done so much together, and suffered so much together in and for Christ, his request alone should be sufficient. The same is true of us.  If we as believers have developed the full, loving relationship afforded us by the Holy Spirit, we should be able to appeal to one another for forgiveness, support, open conversation, and any other matter that contributes to the unity of the body and the furtherance of the gospel. May we have an open appeals process towards one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment