Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Learning to Listen #31

In John 8, Jesus is having one of those intense discussions with the scribes and Pharisees. He was confronting them with their self-righteousness, and refusal to admit that they too were sinners who needed to be freed by faith in Him. In verse
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me
Why were they so resistant? They could not bear to hear His word - literally, to bend a ready ear; they were not willing to listen to Him.  Jesus says "It is an either-or decision: you will listen to God, His Son, His will, His truth, which gives life, or you will be listening to the lies of the murderer, which lead to death. Learning to listen is a matter of turning and training our ears, minds and hearts to hear what God is saying, and turning off the stream of lies the devil sends our way. I hope we've all learned a little this month about why and how listening matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment