Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Learning to LIsten #18

Psalm 143 is one of those Psalms of David where he is crying out for deliverance. He ended his first stanza with a description of his condition: my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. After letting that picture sink in after an interlude, he continues into the second stanza:
7 Answer me quickly, O Lord!
    My spirit fails!
Hide not your face from me,
    lest I be like those who go down to the pit.
8 Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
    for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go,
    for to you I lift up my soul.
"Let me hear - I'm listening, Lord; I'm ready to trust what You have to say; I'm ready for You to be the boss and tell me where to go and what to do. Here's my heart and soul; You take control."  Then, a couple of verses later he says:
10 Teach me to do your will,
    for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me
    on level ground!
Note the exclamation points.  David is ready to listen. He is teachable. He is open to the Spirit's leading. Are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment