Sunday, August 15, 2021

Learning to Listen #15

Jeremiah had the unenviable task of proclaiming bad news of Judgement. In chapter 26 we find one set of instructions he was given:
2 “Thus says the Lord: Stand in the court of the Lord's house, and speak to all the cities of Judah that come to worship in the house of the Lord all the words that I command you to speak to them; do not hold back a word. 3 It may be they will listen, and every one turn from his evil way, that I may relent of the disaster that I intend to do to them because of their evil deeds. 4 You shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord: If you will not listen to me, to walk in my law that I have set before you, 5 and to listen to the words of my servants the prophets whom I send to you urgently, though you have not listened, 6 then I will make this house like Shiloh, and I will make this city a curse for all the nations of the earth.’”
God tells Jeremiah to get all the people together and tell them all the bad news. Why? 3 It may be they will listen, and every one turn from his evil way... There is always the possibility they will listen and turn from doing evil. One of our common sayings is "Why waste your breath?" What do we mean by that? That people have a tendency to not listen, to not change, to head on the wrong path. God sees things differently. He sees things we cannot see. He sees the heart. He sees the possibilities. Jeremiah listened to God and did as He said. Not many listened. But Jeremiah did the right thing: he listened to God and walked in His ways.  The important thing is not how well do people listen to you, but how well do you listen to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment