Sunday, August 22, 2021

Learning to Listen #22

In Revelation 3, John records these words, as he concludes the messages to the churches:
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”
Each of the seven letters concludes with this phrase: 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” Who has an ear? Everyone does. This challenge is to each and every believer and each and every church: "Are you listening?" In context, it is especially appropriate in the letter to this church in light of the well-known verse 20:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. Rather than being this individual call to salvation, it really is corporate: "Is there anyone in there who will answer My knocking? Is anyone paying attention to what Christ has to say? Is anyone sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit?  Come, Join Me," Jesus says. "We have a lot to talk about."  Christ offers to us, together, fellowship and victory, but only as we include Him and learn to listen to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment