Thursday, August 19, 2021

Learning to Listen #19

 
Psalm 62 is another Psalm of David Crying out to God. He begins:
For God alone my soul waits in silence;
    from him comes my salvation.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
He then goes on to ask those who plotted against him why, and for how long they would continue to do so. After an interlude, he repeats the opening verse, with a parallel thought:
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
    for my hope is from him.
David again addresses himself: "Wait, listen for God to answer; trust in Him." He then goes on to exhort his people to also trust in God and pour their hearts out to Him.  Don't give in to those who plan or speak evil toward you, and especially don't become like them.  He then closes with this thought:
11 Once God has spoken;
    twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
12 and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love.
Why does David take this personal stance of waiting and listening? Why does He encourage us to do the same? Because He has heard God speak before, and found God to be Who He claims to be: The God of Power and Love. Those characteristics belong to Him. They are defined by Him.  As you begin your day, and throughout your day, tell yourself: 
"For God alone my soul waits in silence; 
    from him comes my salvation...
 for my hope is from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment