Thursday, August 12, 2021

Learning to Listen #12

In Romans 10, Paul is talking about the response, or lack of response, of the people of Israel to the Gospel.  Many had not received Christ when God sent Him to them. Why not? Verse:
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for
“Their voice has gone out to all the earth,
    and their words to the ends of the world
.”
19 But I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says,
“I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation;
    with a foolish nation I will make you angry.”
20 Then Isaiah is so bold as to say,
“I have been found by those who did not seek me;
    I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.”
21 But of Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.” 
God has been revealing Himself throughout history. He has been speaking through creation and through His Word. He has been seen and He has spoken. Man, including Israel, has had a resistant and rebellious spirit, refusing to hear God speak by whatever means.  They have not learned to listen to Him.  In Christ He has spoken and revealed Himself in the clearest, most observable form. In Him God provides not only the truth, but the faith to believe it, and the grace to follow it.  Will we listen, trust, and obey?

No comments:

Post a Comment