Job 31:24 “If I have made gold my trust
or called fine gold my confidence,
25 if I have rejoiced because my wealth was abundant
or because my hand had found much,
26 if I have looked at the sun when it shone,
or the moon moving in splendor,
27 and my heart has been secretly enticed,
and my mouth has kissed my hand,
28 this also would be an iniquity to be punished by the judges,
for I would have been false to God above.
As Job finished his response to his friends' critical examination, he goes through a long list of questions he had asked of himself, to see why all of his suffering had come upon him. He had left no leaf unturned. He considered how he had treated God, neighbors, business associates, the poor - even animals and the land. He still came up empty-handed, with nothing on his list to answer "why?" We should never depend fully on our own self-examination, but as Paul reminds the Corinthians: "Let every man examine himself." If we leave that out, we truly have become self-righteous.
No comments:
Post a Comment