Monday, September 28, 2026

Rebuked by Wisdom

 

Proverbs 1:
24 Because I have called and you refused to listen,
    have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
25 because you have ignored all my counsel
    and would have none of my reproof,
26 I also will laugh at your calamity;
    I will mock when terror strikes you,
27 when terror strikes you like a storm
    and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
    when distress and anguish come upon you.
The book of Proverbs masterfully personifies Wisdom as a counselor who beckons us to listen, learn, and respond to her counsel.  The problem is: we are often too stubborn to head her voice. Wisdom can rightly respond: "I told you so."  In this except Wisdom sounds almost mean, until we look at the context. Wisdom has been crying out, begging us to listen.  Since we will not, she knows that the only way we will learn is to reap a harvest of hurt and learn the hard way.  She rebukes out of truth and love.  Will we heed her voice as she calls to us today?

No comments:

Post a Comment