Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Days of Refreshing #8

Yesterday we looked at the first half of Psalm 23, in reference to our topic of Refreshing. The second half of the Psalm says this: 
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
Last night as our grief group met, we were reminded about the fog, the cloud that seems to come over us in times of great loss, in particular the death of a loved one. It's a scary place with unstable footing; you have difficulty functioning and making decisions. But notice David's response: You are with me, Lord. You are comforting me. In David's heart and mind this causes Him to change imagery from being a sheep to being safely in the protection of the Great King in His palace. There he has not just daily food, but a feast. The host would have refreshing oil rubbed in the scalp of his weary guests. His cup was overflowing - there was no end to the supply.  Such a guest was not just there for a moment, but often for a lifetime. David, though going through dark times, was greatly refreshed by God's presence, provision and protection. May we be able to say with David today: "Lord, You are with me, so I am refreshed."

No comments:

Post a Comment