Saturday, June 5, 2021

Days of Refreshing #5

In Job 32, after  Job's friends have given him all sorts of reasons for the sorrow in which he finds himself, another, younger man, Elihu unleashes his attack, both against these other three, and Job Himself. Verse 2 says: 2 Then Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the family of Ram, burned with anger. He burned with anger at Job because he justified himself rather than God.  
The New King James translates this phrase: the wrath of Elihu was aroused against Job. We get a glimpse of how angry he was in verse:
17 I also will answer with my share;
    I also will declare my opinion.
18 For I am full of words;
    the spirit within me constrains me.
19 Behold, my belly is like wine that has no vent;
    like new wineskins ready to burst.
20 I must speak, that I may find relief;
    I must open my lips and answer.
Why is he entering the conversation? Possibly he was there at the city gates listening to them debate - sort of like stumbling on a Facebook conversation. As he listens, he feels the others are stupid and unwise, and he has all sorts of wisdom they need to hear. But why? He tells us in this last verse: I must speak, that I may find relief; Elihu does it for his own selfish reasons - not to help Job.  Sometimes, with the stresses and struggles that we face in life, we think that "letting someone else have it" will give us the relief and refreshing that we are looking for. We think it will "make us feel better", as well as making others give us the respect and attention we deserve.  This is NOT true refreshing. Refreshing for us does not come at the expense of others. It comes when we stop, step back, and allow God to show us all the good He has given us, where we have gone astray, and how He wants to help us refocus on where we need to go from here.  God may use others to help us in this refreshing process, but not by our dumping on them or jumping on them to find relief.  Our refreshing should be contagious and help others find refreshing too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment