Saturday, June 12, 2021

Days of Refreshing #12

We continue to look at God's promises of refreshing to His people through the prophet Isaiah. He says in chapter 44:
 “But now hear, O Jacob my servant,
    Israel whom I have chosen!
2 Thus says the Lord who made you,
    who formed you from the womb and will help you:
Fear not, O Jacob my servant,
    Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
    and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring,
    and my blessing on your descendants.
4 They shall spring up among the grass
    like willows by flowing streams.
5 This one will say, ‘I am the Lord's,’
    another will call on the name of Jacob,
and another will write on his hand, ‘The Lord's,’
    and name himself by the name of Israe
l.”
One of the thoughts that hit a people or a person the hardest is this: "Who am I? Why am I here? Does it even matter? Would anyone even miss me?"  Thoughts like that rushed through the hearts and minds of the people of Israel as they were told their nation would be taken from their land into exile, and become the scorn of all their neighbors. So what is the refreshing thought God gives to replace that? Their identity. God says: "Listen, you are my servant.  I chose you. I made you. I will help you." He then promises this help: 3 For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. God promises to Refresh them. He then reminds them who they are, as He says: "You have my name. You belong to me. Never forget Whose you are."  For those of us who are God's children through faith in Christ, who have His spirit, Remember: "I am the Lord's." 

No comments:

Post a Comment