Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Days of Refreshing #29

We return today to I John, this time reading from chapter 3:
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. 3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
God gave the apostle John a distinct style than that of the other Gospel writers, Paul, or other writers in the New Testament.  When we read passages like this there is a calmness - almost as if our Heavenly Father is putting us up on His lap and gently talking to us: "I know you have had a rough day: I understand that you are beat up from life and the bullies on life's playground; I saw and heard those things you did and said that you wish now you would not have.  But guess what: you are still my child; I still love you: I still have great plans for you. No matter how rough it's been, you know what you need to do. Come to me to clean up your wounds and wash your sinful hands. Get cleaned up and refreshed, so you can jump off my lap and get back out there and do the right thing. It's going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment