Thursday, March 8, 2018

Wisdom Raises Her Voice!

Does not wisdom call?
    Does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights beside the way,
    at the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
    at the entrance of the portals she cries aloud:
“To you, O men, I call,
    and my cry is to the children of man.
simple ones, learn prudence;
    fools, learn sense.


32 “And now, O sons, listen to me:
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
    and do not neglect it.
34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,
    watching daily at my gates,
    waiting beside my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life
    and obtains favor from the Lord,
36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;
    all who hate me love death.”

         (Proverbs 8:1-5;32-36)
Wisdom is like your mother: trying to talk some sense into that thick head of yours.  But you won't listen. So she comes after you, wherever you go - down the hall, into your room, out on the sidewalk, even at the mall. The imagery here is of one walking into the city, to a place displeasing to the Lord, and his mother sees him and calls out to him: "What are you doing!?!"These two paragraphs are just the slices of bread in the middle of this chapter. In between we have the credentials: the training and experience that Wisdom has, for which she should be heard.  Will we listen and love life? Or will we neglect her and hurt ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment