Monday, March 5, 2018

Lots to Lose!

My son, be attentive to my wisdom;
    incline your ear to my understanding,
that you may keep discretion,
    and your lips may guard knowledge.
For the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey,
    and her speech is smoother than oil,
but in the end she is bitter as wormwood,
    sharp as a two-edged sword.
Her feet go down to death;
    her steps follow the path to Sheol;
she does not ponder the path of life;
    her ways wander, and she does not know it.
And now, O sons, listen to me,
    and do not depart from the words of my mouth.
Keep your way far from her,
    and do not go near the door of her house,
lest you give your honor to others
    and your years to the merciless,
10 lest strangers take their fill of your strength,
    and your labors go to the house of a foreigner,
11 and at the end of your life you groan,
    when your flesh and body are consumed,
12 and you say, “How I hated discipline,
    and my heart despised reproof!
(Proverbs 5)
"If you ever marry an airhead, I'll kill you!"  Yes, I actually said those words to my sons.  After another counseling session with a young man who had fallen for an ungodly woman - one who like verse 6 says: "does not ponder the path of life; her ways wander, and she does not know it" - I was frustrated. When he fell for her and followed her, this young man fell into a pattern of sin, struggling and stupidity which destroyed a lot of progress he had made in following Christ. Don't get me wrong: It's not the woman's fault. These young men choose to despise discipline and revolt against righteousness.  They know better!  The writer goes on to describe the tragic life that develops from these choices, but you get the picture: what a mess!  Choose well; choose now, to say no, walk away, seek wisdom, and stay on the path of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment