Friday, March 30, 2018

Living Life in the Balance...


Two things I ask of you, Lord;
    do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God."

(Proverbs 30:7-9)
What does it take to finish well?  The book of Proverbs begins with a call for one's son(s) to seek wisdom, then warns of what happens when we choose to follow foolishness, waiting till the end to consider this weighty matter of whether one has lived his/her life well.  Two things is all the writer asks for: Truth and Contentment.  After all of the "information" and knowledge obtainable in this life is stored up, what really matters is truth - no spin, no excuses, no fantasizing - just plain truth - reality as God sees it.  "Lord, keep me on the road of truth." The same is true of the stuff of this world. Having had all sorts of experiences and experiments - satisfying all the senses - what really matters is not trying to get the next buzz or taste a better wine - it is knowing God gives us what is best, and there is not greater satisfaction in life than trusting in His wisdom and love for us.  May we finish well, having lived life in that place of balance - the scales of truth, and not having too much or too little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment