Thursday, March 22, 2018

A Good Name...

A good name is to be chosen over great wealth;

favor is better than silver and gold.
The rich and the poor have this in common:

the Lord made them both.
A sensible person sees danger and takes cover,

but the inexperienced keep going and are punished.
The result of humility is fear of the Lord,

along with wealth, honor, and life.
There are thorns and snares on the path of the crooked;

the one who guards himself stays far from them.
Teach a youth about the way he should go;

even when he is old he will not depart from it.
(Proverbs 22)
Choices. That is what Proverbs is all about: making decisions based upon what we believe is important.  "A good name" is all about our reputation - not just what people "think about us", but what they know to be true. Am I living up to my family name, my church family name, my name as a Child of God?   No matter what my lot in life, am I living as if I belong to God?  Do I learn from my mistakes, or seem to look for new ones to make?  Do I see humility as a godly pursuit - not for false praise from men, but to please God and be more like Him?  Do I distance myself from what I know are temptations to me?  Am I teachable? Have I ever been? Choices matter. May we first choose to seek God's wisdom to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment