Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Cry of the Unborn...


PSALM 17:6
call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
    incline your ear to me; hear my words.
Wondrously show[a] your steadfast love,
    O Savior of those who seek refuge
    from their adversaries at your right hand.
Keep me as the apple of your eye;
    hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who do me violence,
    my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They close their hearts to pity;
    with their mouths they speak arrogantly.
11 They have now surrounded our steps;
    they set their eyes to cast us to the ground.
12 He is like a lion eager to tear,
    as a young lion lurking in ambush.
13 Arise, O Lord! Confront him, subdue him!
    Deliver my soul from the wicked by your sword,
14 from men by your hand, O Lord,
    from men of the world whose portion is in this life.[b]
You fill their womb with treasure;[c]
    they are satisfied with children,
    and they leave their abundance to their infants.
When I was younger, I would often hear people refering to a child as "the apple of their eye," the one upon they looked as their greatest reason for living.  Though David is pleading for God's protection from those who were seeking after his life, we can well imagine these words from the mouth of an unborn child in many parts of the world - being under attack, not by the sword, as much as the scalpel. We live in a culture where the child is viewed not as "the apple of one's eye," or a treasure in the womb, but a problem to be eliminated.  David knew God did not feel that way. He knew God would be his protector.  But an unborn child cannot pray this prayer for himself or herself.  They have no idea they are under attack. So we pray this prayer for them: that they will be protected, viewed as a treasure, accepted as "the apple of one's eye."  

No comments:

Post a Comment