Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Don't stop at verse 1!


Psalm 56
8You have kept count of my tossings;3
aput my tears in your bottle.
bAre they not in your book?
Then my enemies will turn back
cin the day when I call.
This I knowthat4 dGod is for me.
10  In Godwhose word I praise,
in the LORDwhose word I praise,
11  in God I trustuI shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
Often, when it comes to hymns, we know the first verse and that's about it.  Here in the second verse of this Psalm is a precious picture of how attentive God is to our needs: He holds all our tears in a bottle.  He knows each sorrow and struggle to the last drop.  He has recorded each one in the eternal ledger. None goes unnoticed.  Add this to the "hairs on your head" and "knitted me in the womb" pictures and you get an idea of how intricately God sees and cares, while doing the same for all of creation.  Overhelming. Amazing. Humbling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment