Saturday, March 23, 2024

Please fight for me!

 

Psalm 35
Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me;
    fight against those who fight against me!
2 Take hold of shield and buckler
    and rise for my help!
3 Draw the spear and javelin
    against my pursuers!
Say to my soul,
    “I am your salvation
!”
Once again we find David calling out to God for help to deliver him from his enemies. As we go on through the Psalm we find it is not just those who want to do him physical harm, but also those who attack his character, speak evil of him, and spread lies about him. In a sense, these are even more difficult for him to deal with and defend himself against. David pictures God as a mighty warrior who takes up His armor and weapons and fights on David's behalf. But there is yet another battle ragging - the one in his heart and soul.  For that battle, David asks God to bring calmness and confidence, reminding him of His great salvation and ever-present lovingkindness.  He needs reassurance deep within as much or more than deliverance without. So do we. 

No comments:

Post a Comment