Tuesday, March 12, 2024

New Priest, New Covenant

 

Hebrews 8:8 Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,
    when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
    and with the house of Judah,
9 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers
    on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt.
For they did not continue in my covenant,
    and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
    after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws into their minds,
    and write them on their hearts,
and I will be their God,
    and they shall be my people.
11 And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor
    and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
for they shall all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful toward their iniquities,
    and I will remember their sins no more.
In chapter 7 we saw how with work of Christ in His sinless life, sacrificial death, resurrection and ascension, He has become the Great Priest, initiating a greater priesthood.  Today, the writer says, this greater Priest represents and new and greater covenant with God. This quote refers back to Jeremiah 31 and the promise God had given centuries before to initiate His New Covenant.  It is much more internal and eternal, reaching deeper into men's hearts and forgiving their sins forever. Does the description above describe us?



No comments:

Post a Comment