Saturday, March 2, 2024

Desiring His Presence

 

Psalm 26:8 O Lord, I love the habitation of your house
    and the place where your glory dwells.
9 Do not sweep my soul away with sinners,
    nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10 in whose hands are evil devices,
    and whose right hands are full of bribes.

Psalm 27:4 One thing have I asked of the Lord,
    that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
    and to inquire in his temple.
5 For he will hide me in his shelter
    in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
    he will lift me high upon a rock.

Psalm 26 begins as many of David's psalms: with him crying out to God for deliverance, on the run from those who sought to destroy him.  But as he pleads his innocence and makes his case, he gets real with God and says: "What I really want is to be with you in the house of worship. It is not very far into the next Psalm above, with those familiar opening verses, that David once again reveals this same deep desire of his heart: to be with God in His house.  We find the same desire mentioned in the conclusion of Psalm 23.  Is David's desire our desire, no matter what is going on in our life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment