Monday, October 18, 2021

Restoring Our Strength #18

The book of Exodus recalls the great deliverance God brought about when He freed the Israelites from their bondage in Egypt.  We are familiar with the story, but think about how tired and weary they must have been. They had been slaves for 400 years, required to make bricks for the ever-increasing building projects of the Pharoah.  Then, when Moses showed up to "help them", the workload was increased, while they themselves were affected by some of the impact of the plagues. Then, quickly overnight, they had to pack up all their things and quickly leave on their journey, only to be trapped at the Red Sea with the Egyptian chariots coming their way. Imagine how emotionally and mentally - as well as physically tired they must have been pressed in together on the shore. Imagine how tired Moses must have been from leading this complaining crowd. Then, God does something impossible, taking them through the Sea and covering the Egyptian army when they came after them.  Chapter 15 then begins this way:
Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying,
“I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;
    the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
2 The Lord is my strength and my song,
    and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father's God, and I will exalt him
.
The first words of testimony out of Moses' and the people's mouths are "The Lord is my strength." Yes, He is so many things to me: He is great and powerful, holy and loving, saving His people. But what we need right now is strength. There is still a long journey ahead of us, but we have a song to sing along the way. We have the strength to go on, because the Lord is my strength. Sing that throughout your day today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment