Sunday, October 3, 2021

Renewing Our Strength #3

Philippians 4 is a well-known and often studied and quoted passage, with one of the most quoted verses: verse 13, but let's look at it in context of our study on Renewing Our Strength. Paul says: 
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble.
As we know from earlier in this chapter, the Philippian church was being called to rejoice, even in the midst of trials and persecution.  They needed a change in perspective about the struggles they were going through. Paul now talks about his own joy.  He was overjoyed that this church had chosen to reach out and help him financially and physically then they heard he was in need. But he wanted them to realize that his joy was not dependent on having material things or physical ease. True joy comes knowing that God will supply whatever it is we really need, from learning to be content in every circumstance, even if it means being laid low.  When we are laid low, we need strength, but not just any strength - the strength God supplies in His time, in His way, and as He sees we need it.  Paul ends by saying: "Don't get me wrong; I am very thankful for what you gave me when I was down and out, but even if you had not, God will find a way to meet every need, including our need for strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment