Thursday, October 14, 2021

Renewing Our Strength

In John 16, as Jesus neared the end of his time with His disciples in the upper room, there were a number of things He had said that they had difficulty both understanding and accepting. They could not believe that He was talking about leaving Him. They did not want to accept His words that He was going to suffer and die. But there were some things they did believe, which He told them to hold on to:
30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.” 31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32 Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
The disciples said: "Lord, we believe in You. We believe in Who You are. We believe You are the Truth."  In response Jesus says: "Okay then. If you believe, remember that even if you feel you are all alone, with no one else to support you, and you have lost all strength and desire to go on, I am with you. Just like I am not alone when you leave me, you will not be alone. And just as I have overcome the world, you can have renewed strength and hope and peace knowing I am with you.  Take heart, and receive my strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment