Thursday, March 6, 2014

Passionate Praying

As she continued praying before the LORD, Eli observed her mouth. Hannah was speaking in her heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli took her to be a drunken woman. And Eli said to her, “How long will you go on being drunk? Put your wine away from you.” But Hannah answered, “No, my lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the LORD. Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for all along I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation.” Then Eli answered, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to him.” And she said, “Let your servant find favor in your eyes.” Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad. (1 Samuel 1:12-18 ESV) This is one of those "I've-read-it-a-dozen-times-before-but-never-noticed" passages. We all remember Hannah praying for a child, but the passion here is so deep, she is mistaken for drunk, fully engaged in praying, pouring out her soul. What she comes away with is more than a son - she now has peace, and it shows on her face! May we take that time, spend that passion, and have and show His peace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment