Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Promise of Perpetuity

2 Samuel 7:12-16 When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands. But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’” This promise of God to David became a cornerstone of hope for not only David's descendants, but for all of Israel. It was this hope that kept them going at the lowest points of their history - his throne is established forever. There is something we all look for - lasting beyond our days, influence beyond the present, not just living for today. Yet, we so easily forget the promises of God and live just for today, as if there is no history and no hope. May today be a day we allow God to remind us of the big picture and the hope that lies before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment