Thursday, March 13, 2014

Just what we need to hear...

1 Samuel 24:16-22 When David finished saying this, Saul asked, “Is that your voice, David my son?” And he wept aloud. “You are more righteous than I,” he said. “You have treated me well, but I have treated you badly. You have just now told me about the good you did to me; the Lord delivered me into your hands, but you did not kill me. When a man finds his enemy, does he let him get away unharmed? May the Lord reward you well for the way you treated me today. I know that you will surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hands. Now swear to me by the Lord that you will not kill off my descendants or wipe out my name from my father’s family.” So David gave his oath to Saul. Then Saul returned home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold. David has been on the run from King Saul, who, filled with envy, has been pursuing David in every way possible to take his life. David has just had the opportunity to take Saul's life, but he did not; he refuses to displace God's anointed king so he can take over, fulfilling God's promise. He now receives from Saul the words of vindication he needs to keep on going: David is right; Saul has been wrong. Saul has blown it; David will be king. David is in the place to make the decisions; Saul is not. To be sure, this game of cat and mouse is not over; David is still not "safe", but he has the assurance his way is the right way - trusting God for His time and His way to keep His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment