Sunday, October 6, 2024

Prepared with Precepts


 Psalm 119:

27 Make me understand the way of your precepts,
    and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28 My soul melts away for sorrow;
    strengthen me according to your word!

39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
    for your rules are good.
40 Behold, I long for your precepts;
    in your righteousness give me life!

44 I will keep your law continually,
    forever and ever,
45 and I shall walk in a wide place,
    for I have sought your precepts.

As we look at the next three stanzas of this longest psalm, we notice some key words the psalmist uses for The Word of God: commandments, laws, statutes, testimony, and precepts.  This last term is not one we use every day, but more of a formal term for "rule for action or behavior" which is based upon a decision that has been settled. Also of note is that these precepts are needed when the struggles of life come: when one is experiencing sorrow, reproach, and a sense of insecurity or uncertainty. We need to have these precepts in place before those things happen so we will not be shaken, fearful, or in despair.  We need to prepare ahead of time by being in God's Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment