Saturday, February 24, 2024

Immanence and Transcendence

 

Psalm 23:The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me
.

Psalm 24:The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof,
    the world and those who dwell therein,
2 for he has founded it upon the seas
    and established it upon the rivers
.

In these two back-to-back psalms of David, we find two complimentary, yet mind-boggling characteristics of God.  In Psalm 23 He is immanent, present, with me through every day and danger of life, which in Psalm 24 He is transcendent, "out there", watching over every aspect of the universe. This is one and the same God.  Psalm 24 goes on to say that such a God demands and deserves our worship, both at the place of worship, and with our very lives.  Indeed, what a wonderful God He is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment