Monday, December 19, 2022

Christ is Coming #23

The Apostle John is known as The Apostle of Love.  It is a theme throughout his gospel and his letters. No place is that theme more concentrated than in his account of the upper room discourse. For example, chapter 15:
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
Christ demonstrated the deep love of God when He came down to earth to give His life for His friends, His followers.  His expectations, and those of God the Father, were that we would love Him back - not by laying down our life for Him, but by willingly and lovingly keeping His commandments and showing His love to one another.  Something else to note here is how once again, these blessings of Advent: Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love, intersect. Here it is joy; joy and love go and grow together.  Both are to be shared with fellow followers, as well as with God the Father and the Son.  May we learn to abide in His love and be full of His joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment