Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Christ is Coming #17

There is a lot we can learn about joy from the prophets - even the so-called "minor prophets" like Habakkuk. His prophecy closes this way:
 17 Though the fig tree should not blossom,
    nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
    and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
    and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
    I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19 God, the Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the deer's;
    he makes me tread on my high places.
Simply put, even in the hardest of times true joy still shines through.  Habakkuk was given the sad task of announcing God's judgment.  Even though he also could foresee that God would judge even more wicked peoples who oppressed his own far in the future, the fact was that life now was tough - real tough. There was famine in the land and no hope of relief in the near future. Still, God would provide the strength and the stability to stand firm in his faith and keep on serving Him. Therefore, he kept rejoicing in the Lord. No matter what we are facing today, may we say: "The Joy of the Lord Is my strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment